Injuring a Child

Contact Us

Holding someone liable for injuring a child in Florida

It is a horrible situation when your child injured, and it is understandable if you are extremely terrified or stressed out after seeing your child in such a situation. It is a completely different situation when your child is injured or hurt in someone else's care. All laws in Florida hold the parents legally responsible for their children. They are held accountable for their children's behavior or actions. Recently in a Tallahassee hospital, an 8-year boy died after getting hit by a golf cart that was being driven by an 11-year-old. The parents of the 11-year-old driver are facing potential civil and criminal procedures.

The responsibility of the landlords

According to Florida law, the landlord or the owner of a property is held liable for the safety of the visitors who come to visit their property. There are different levels of accountability depending on the reason why a person has come onto to that property.

  • Guests are the people who come to the property when you are invited to attend some event, for business purposes, or personal reasons,
  • People who come to the property for their own personal reasons, for example, a child who walked into the open main gate of your house.
  • The third category is unauthorized people who are trespassing on your property.

Primarily guest or invitees have the comfort of Florida's premises liability law; according to this law, the landowner is held responsible for maintaining safety of the place which they have invited people. With the right amount of effort, we can show that the landowner has ensured the safety in the premises, but still the guest is injured or hurt by something in the house. Cases like these will be in favor of the landlord.

About children

While the laws mentioned above are equal among adults, children exercise a different set of exceptions, as children are assumed not to understand the details of the law and their consequences.

About Us

When you find yourself in a situation where your child is injured or hurt, the first thing you need to do is to hire an attorney who has sound knowledge and can provide you with knowledgeable legal advice.

about our firm

Recommendations Legal Directory
Justia Legal Directory


Questions? Please reach out! We are here to help.